The keto diet plan is a low carb high fat diet that helps you lose weight while still being able to eat foods that you enjoy. In this article I give my thoughts and opinions on if the keto diet is right for you.
I have been following the ketogenic diet for an extended period of time and love how well it works for me. I find that I am much healthier than before and feel great. My energy levels stay good along with my mental focus and mood. I believe everyone should try the keto diet at some point in their lives. Here are some reasons why I think the keto diet is a great fit for people who want to get started.
Ketosis – Ketones in the blood
- When you start eating less carbs and more fats, the body starts producing ketones. These are produced when the liver breaks down fatty acids into useable fuel. Fatty acids are then converted into ketone bodies in the mitochondria (energy factories) inside cells.
Benefits of the ketogenic diet
- Studies show that the ketogenic diet reduces seizure frequency by 50% in children with epilepsy.
- Research shows that the ketogenic diet may help treat certain types of cancer.
- The ketogenic diet may improve symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease.
- The keto diet may reduce inflammation in Crohn’s Disease.
- The ketonic diet may help control type 2 diabetes.
- The ketonic diet may help reduce migraine headaches.
- The ketone bodies produced by the ketogenic diet may improve brain function.
- A ketogenic diet may improve heart health.
- The ketosis state may help burn fat.
Here are some more questions that people ask when first considering the keto diet.
- What Is Ketosis?
Ketosis is the state of having high levels of ketone bodies in the blood. When we eat foods rich in fat, our body starts producing ketones. These are produced naturally by the liver when glucose (blood sugar) is not available. In order to produce these ketones, the body uses stored fats for fuel.
- Why Do You Need To Be In Ketosis?
When you are in ketosis, your brain runs off ketones instead of glucose. Glucose is what the brain normally uses for fuel. If you have been eating a lot of carbs, then you may need to get back into ketosis to lose weight.
- How Long Does It Take To Get Into Ketosis?
It takes about three days before you start seeing results. Your body will begin using fat for fuel, and your appetite will decrease.
- Are There Any Side Effects Of Being In Ketosis?
There are no known side effects of being in ketosis. However, if you do not want to experience any negative side effects, you should stick to a low-carb diet.
- Can I Eat Anything While In Ketosis?
Yes! As long as you stay away from processed food and sugary drinks, you can eat anything while in ketosis.
- Can I Drink Alcohol While In Ketosis?
No. Drinking alcohol will cause you to go out of ketosis.
7. Should I Exercise While In Ketosis?
Yes! Exercise helps burn calories and increases metabolic rate.
8. Will My Body Go Through A Detox?
Maybe. While the keto diet might not be your traditional detox routine, it does help cleanse your body while at the same time triggering it to burn off the extra weight.
Hopefully this information will answer a few of your questions. I encourage you to do some more research and find out if keto is right for you. I wish you much success!