I feel like squash is supposed to be off-limits if you want to stay in ketosis, but spaghetti squash is surprisingly low-carb and even less carb when you distract the dish with meatballs! And so, my low-carb spaghetti squash lasagna recipe was born. I knew I’d need to fatten it up, so I rolled up a few dozen tiny meatballs and added them as a major layer to the mix.
Low-Carb Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 50 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Nutritional Facts: 7g Net Carbs| 392 Calories | 72g Fat | 9g Carbs | 31g Protein | 2g Fiber
- 1 Medium to large spaghetti squash
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb grass fed ground beef
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 grinds of fresh sea salt
- 3 grinds of freshly cracked pepper
- 1 large egg
For the sauce:
- 3 cups naturally low-carb tomato sauce
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups, shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Slice your spaghetti squash in half the long way, using a large knife. Remove the seeds and goop. Place both sides, squash side up, on a baking sheet and bake for an hour at 350. It’s ready when you can easily use a spoon to scoop out the innards. Note: If you want to bake the lasagna in the shell, be careful when removing “spaghetti”, it’s easy to poke a hole in the rind once cooked.
- In the meantime, pour your chosen sauce into a medium saucepan over low heat, covered, and add red pepper flakes. Let simmer with the cover on to prevent annoying splashes of sauce all over.
- Mix meatball ingredients in a bowl and roll into quarter-sized mini meatballs.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with your choice of cooking oil (I like olive oil or ghee) Cook meatballs in the frying pan and cover. Flip when halfway browned (approx 3-5 minutes). When meatballs are cooked through, uses a slotted spoon to add them (without the grease and fatty aftermath) into the sauce and let marinate. Reduce to a low or warm setting.
- If you have preserved the spaghetti squash shells, put them back on the baking sheet if they aren’t already. Otherwise, you can use a bread-sized baking dish. In your baking vehicle of choice, layer sauce, squash, meatballs, sauce, mozzarella, squash, meatballs, sauce, mozzarella. Then bake on 350 for 30 minutes.
- Remove the spaghetti squash lasagna from the oven, and garnish with chopped basil or parsley if you like. Otherwise, serve and enjoy!
This recipe first appeared on Wickedstuffed. You can see the original here