Puppy chow is a popular snack food in the US. The name comes from the fact they look a bit like dog food, but don’t worry, they taste great and are quick and easy to make.
The typical puppy chow recipe usually consists of cereal, peanut butter, chocolate, and butter. The ingredients are mixed together and then made into small oval shapes that are then covered in powdered sugar before serving. They make a great sweet treat, but if you’re following a keto diet, they contain way too many carbs.
The good news is there is a keto-friendly way to make puppy chow. In our recipe, we use pork rinds to give it some crunch, cocoa powder, low-carb brown sugar for sweetness, and coconut oil and almond butter to help the dry ingredients stick together. The result is tasty carb-free snacks that are packed full of protein and lots of other goodness that will provide you with an energy boost in between meals or if you’re watching sport or a movie.
This recipe is lots of fun to make, and if you’ve got kids get them to help you out. Go on, give them a try today.
Yields 4 servings of Keto Chocolate Puppy Chow
- 4 ounce pork rinds
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup low-carb brown sugar replacement
1. Measure out and prepare all the ingredients.
2. On a plate break up the pork rinds into small pieces.
3. In a bowl, stir together the coconut oil, almond butter, and cocoa powder until combined well.
4. Transfer the small pork rind pieces to a bowl and drizzle the chocolate almond butter mixture on top. Stir to fully coat the pork rinds.
5. Transfer the chocolate covered pork rinds to a Ziploc bag.
6. Add in the low-carb brown sugar replacement.
7. Shake well to fully coat the pork rinds.
8. Serve and enjoy!
This makes a total of 4 servings of Keto Chocolate Puppy Chow. Each serving comes out to be 522 calories, 42g fat, 6.7g net carbs, and 24g protein.
|4.00 ounce pork rinds||648||40.5||0||0||0||61.6|
|0.25 cup coconut oil||486||54||0||0||0||0|
|0.50 cup almond butter||768||69.4||23.5||12.9||10.7||26.2|
|0.50 cup cocoa powder||164||4||24.0||8.0||16.0||8.0|
|0.50 cup low-carb brown sugar replacement||23||0||0||0||0||0|
|Per Serving (/4)||522||42||11.9||5.2||6.7||24|