Did you think there was such a thing a low-carb spaghetti? As a fat Italian, I knew there had to be a way to combine my love for keto with my love for pasta and its delicious garlicky dressings. One way is Spaghetti Squash Aglio Olio. This is another, especially if it’s summer and your garden is filled up with summer squash ready to go!
To start, every keto-er should own a cast iron pan, and this keto pasta recipe is just one delicious reason why. I originally discovered the idea to shave yellow squash into noodles in 4-Hour Chef by Tim Ferris, which is a killer paleo/keto book. I originally published this alternative version of his recipe back in 2012 to make it keto-friendly, and decided to republish it again because it’s just so good!
If you’ve been craving pasta, like I do every once in a while (I used to crave it every day!) this recipe will help you out. Instead of pasta, you’re eating shaved yellow (summer) squash, which is then sauteed in a cast iron pan, and tossed with delicious garlic, herbs, and lemon juice. It’s one of my favorite new keto recipes, and the lemon juice is key!
This is for two servings but could be combined as one big serving. It’d taste amazing paired with lemon-pepper chicken!
I hope you enjoy, this is one of my favorite recipes, and the only veggie noodles I truly love. Zoodle pasta does the trick, but the shaved squash really has a better mouthfeel and flavor. Try it!
Delicious Lemon-Garlic Keto Pasta
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 3 minutes | Total Time: 13 minutes
Nutritional Facts: 4g Net Carbs| 151 Calories | 14g Fat | 6g Carbs | 6g Protein | 2g Fiber
- 3 yellow (summer) squash
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp, minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup, chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup slivered or chopped almonds
- 1/2 of a lemon
Add to taste:
- lemon pepper seasoning
- Chop the ends off the three summer squash, and use a vegetable peeler to peel long, full strips from the beginning to end of each squash. Keep rotating the squash until you’ve worked your way down to where you can start seeing seeds and then stop – this is usually about three rotations.
- Toss the squash strips in a bowl with a few shakes of lemon pepper seasoning.
- Add olive oil to your cast iron pan and put it on medium-high heat for a few minutes until it shimmers. If you don’t have cast iron, use a regular frying pan. While the cast iron pan is heating, chop garlic, parsley, and almonds on the same cutting board and put them in a bowl. You can also try other herbs like basil.
- Toss the squash into the cast iron skillet for about two minutes until they are al dente.
- Turn off the heat and toss in the garlic, parsley, almond, and salt. Toss in the pan.
- Squeeze the half lemon over the keto pasta dish, careful not to drop in any seedlings. Taste and salt as necessary, and serve hot!